Tips & Precautions
- Trails are open depending on the tides.
- Take into consideration that some of the boat landings are located in rural areas and are not lit at night.
- Tell someone about your paddling plans before you leave.
- Stay on designated trails.
- Use personal flotation devices at all times.
- Carry an adequate water supply: Louisiana can be hot & humid!
- Don’t forget sunscreen and bug spray!
- Pack snacks, medication and first aid kit in waterproof containers.
- Check weather conditions for the areas you will visit and be aware of current water conditions and flood stages.
- October through January is hunting season: You may hear gunshots and hunting dogs may be on the banks. These dogs are working: please do not feed or distract them! You may encounter decoys and duck blinds: respect private property and leave them undisturbed.
- Be aware of hornet nests on low lying branches.
- Be prepared: weather conditions can change quickly.
- Invasive grasses can clog waterways.
- Check Wildlife and Fisheries website for hunting season information.
- You may encounter crawfish traps, crab traps, float lines, and jig lines in the water. Respect private property and leave them untouched.
- Occasionally you may encounter a motorboat along these trails: remember to turn your bow into the wake.
- Don’t litter: help keep Louisiana clean!
Paddling poses significant potential hazards including risk of injury or death and each person participating in this activity needs to understand the risks involved, obtain the necessary training and take all needed precautions. The Cajun Coast Visitors & Convention Bureau, its board members, its staff, the Parish of St. Mary, the cities of Morgan City, Franklin, Patterson, Jeanerette, Baldwin, Berwick, the state of Louisiana and anyone else associated with this project or not, makes no representation and specifically disallows any reliance on any statement contained herein. The CCVCB assumes no responsibility or liability for property damage, injury, loss, or death resulting directly or indirectly from the use of this guide, websites, links or paddling in the area.