Even as school gets started, come weekend on the water on the Cajun Coast! Back to School means extra costs, so we’ve compiled a list of the Top 10 FREE & CHEAP Things to Do with the Kids!
1) Kids will enjoy learning about the oil industry on this retired oil rig and the many ways oil is used at the International Petroleum Museum & Exposition, the “Mr. Charlie.”
2) Visit the Wedell-Williams Aviation & Cypress Sawmill Museum (A Louisiana State Museum).
3) Tour the Chitimacha Museum in Charenton. The Chitimacha were the first settlers to the area and lived in and around the Atchafalaya Basin. The museum documents their history, culture and their efforts in preservation.
4) Walk the “Great Wall,” a 21-foot seawall. Built for flood protection, visitors can climb up for a bird’s eye view of the traffic in the Atchafalaya River, one of the busiest rivers in the state.
5) Southwest Reef Lighthouse in Berwick. This iconic symbol in Berwick is one of only 3 lighthouses in Louisiana that are easily accessible, and visitors can see the structure up-close for FREE at the Everett S. Berry Memorial Lighthouse Park. A Fresnel lens and fog bell similar to what would have been used in the lighthouse are displayed in the lobby of Berwick Town Hall, located 2 blocks west of the park on Third Street. If you have a Lighthouse Passport (available from https://uslhs.org/products/items/lighthouse-passport), bring it by the Berwick Town Hall during regular business hours for a stamp!
6) With a self-guided driving trail, the Atchafalaya National Heritage Area will take you on an adventure, showcasing the dramatic affect water has had on this area.
7) Byway drives along with biking, paddling and hiking trails, create last memories. The Bayou Teche National Wildlife Refuge and Boardwalk in Franklin will keep your nature-lover happy as well.
8) Check out the Swamp Nature Habitat at the Cajun Coast Visitors Center. Mama alligator Cayenne and her baby (not so little any more!) Paprika, might peek out to say, “Hi” along with their swamp friends.
9) Splash Pads and Spray Parks are always a fun cool-off for the kiddos! Check out the park in Bayou Vista!
10) Indulge in a Louisiana Snowball from one of our many vendors! We’ve compiled a list of Cool Treats, including these icy, sugary concoctions – let us know your favorite!
Any chef worth his salt will tell you ingredients are best when they are fresh – and shrimp don’t get any fresher than when they’re bought straight from fishermen themselves